December 29, 2014

A fresh start

moving the ball forward
It's been 15 months since I started with occasional "memory dumping" and I have discovered something that I would like to share with you.

It all started by joining the MSP (Microsoft Student Partner) program in the summer of 2013 when I met some smart people who shared their knowledge through blogging. I was impressed and I created this site a month or so later. But ...

Why? This was a really good question. Why on earth would I spend my time on writing that maybe no one will ever read?

What? How often? I was not sure what I'll write about and how much can I come up with. After all, I was never too chatty.

Where? A private blog or a working portal?

Well, now I know the answers. It was not easy to find them and I quit few times because I was not happy with how things were going, but now I know it was worth persisting, because

You don't start out writing good stuff. You start out writing crap and thinking it's good stuff, and then gradually you get better at it. That's why I say one of the most valuable traits is persistence. - Octavia Butler

I'm writing articles because it's one of the forms of sharing and I have discovered that only by sharing I can find out gaps in my knowledge that I would not find otherwise. When I finish reading a book or a white paper I feel that it's all clear to me; well, at least until I try to explain it to someone else. Only then I realize that it's mostly a mess in my head, some pages got completely lost and the rest is still a black box. Writing definitely helps me to organize my thoughts. And when it's written, why not share it with someone? I couldn't be the only person tangled up in that particular subject.

It turned out that there's always something to write about. My day job and answering questions on Stack Overflow really help here by continuous chain of ideas and thoughts. As for the frequency, I tried to post regularly but I failed many times and it bothered me. Now I'm perfectly happy with posting when I feel like it as long as it's not just another lousy post pretending regularity.

I originally started posting both here and on dotnetportal but as I saw hundreds of views there and zero here I quickly decided where to put my effort. There's no reason to publish the same article on two different sites when it does not move the ball forward. I few months ago, I realized that with hardly any comments to my posts I no longer care about publicity in the first place and can as well return here. Apart from that, I also decided to write in English in order to be discoverable by the whole world and not just developers from the Czech Republic and Slovakia.

Having the answers on my mind, my goal for the forthcoming year is to start a knowledge base that will remind my of what I have learned and hopefully also help others who seek answers on the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment